Stuck searching for blog topics for photographers?
Bookmark this list of blog topics for photographers and reference it periodically to jog some inspiration. Although clients and the public don’t follow blogs the same way they used to, blogging is still a fantastic way to provide fresh information on your website, which remains very important for search engine optimization.
Keep your audience in mind as you consider photography blog topics. The general public (and your clients) don’t care about the gear itself… they only care about what you can do with the gear. If your blog’s audience is primarily other photographers… go wild with the gear. Either way, let’s get on with the list of blog topics for photographers!
Clients / Business Blog Topics
- Write about how you recently created a photo with a client to help them capture a special moment
- Write about how your photo helped a client’s business
- Have your client write about how awesome you are
- Share how you’re different than your competitors
- How might things go wrong, and how do you deal with it?
- How a client can best prepare for a particular type of shoot
- Write about what sort of photography you don’t do, and why
- Share a few things that make a client a good fit for you
- Share a few things that would make a client a bad fit
- Interviews with vendors in complementary businesses
- Behind-the-scenes photos or videos
- Why you’re a member of a professional organization (PPA, ASMP, etc)
- Why you’re not a member of such an organization
- Showcase images featuring one of your vendor partners (florist, caterer, etc)
- Write about what sorts of things are in your contract (and why)
- Show an example of how a client is using your image
- Explain how a client should choose a photographer in your niche
- Explain how the fact that you’re an experienced photo veteran (or how you bring fresh new eyes)
- Write about how you handle licensing and rights management
- Why do you sell prints vs. digital files (or both)?
- When (and how far in advance) to plan for photography in advance of holidays
- How do you determine what size print is appropriate for a wall or display?
- Share some frequently asked questions (and answers) that you get from prospective clients
- Write a post thanking a local vendor, business, or person who has helped your photography ventures
- Share a story of something funny that happened on a photoshoot
- Explain why, based on your pricing, your clients get more value than they pay for
Creativity and Inspiration Blog Topics for Photographers
- Share a photo every day
- Share a photo of the same thing every day (photographed in different ways)
- Show how your vision has evolved over months or years
- Share images from a genre you’ve never shared
- Talk about recovering from a shooting mistake
- Show an example of a horrible image you’ve made, and what it taught you
- Share your most unusual family vacation photo
- Write about how a photo relates to some music
- Write about how a photo relates to a book you’ve read
- How often do you photograph, and why?
- Give your camera to your young kid, and have them make a photo of you. Write about what they said about the picture
- Share a photo that folks seem to love but that doesn’t do much for you
There’s more – unlock everything below!
- Something you saw in daily life that inspired you to make a photo
- Explain what you bring to the photography session beyond just making the photo the client thinks they want
- Share ways of displaying your images beyond basic prints or digital files
- Explain how the time of day can affect the mood and lighting of an outdoor image
- Write about how you learn new photographic things
- Share a personal photography project
- Feature any volunteer or community service work related to your photography
- Explain how you make posing, positioning, staging, or timing decisions
- Share your rationale behind your style of retouching, editing, or post-processing
- Write about some creative photo display options you offer that aren’t available from the typical consumer retail lab (drugstores, big box stores, etc)
- Share a series of images in one blog post that reflects a common topic or theme. For example: wedding rings, or outdoor men’s portraits, or photobooth examples, or hot air balloons, or… you get the idea.
- Share examples of creative ways to use a photo on a business card
Gear & Shooting Blog Topics
- Show an example of something interesting you made with new gear
- Explain how a piece of gear compares to another
- Discuss the differences in the build quality of gear
- Show how to build something instead of buy it
- Talk about used vs new gear, with examples
- Talk about your favorite piece of gear
- Talk about your most overrated piece of gear
- Explain how you’d recover if failed
- Share why you pack so much (or so little) gear
- Write about some of your favorite local outdoor venues for photography
- Explain why you use natural light, lighting gear, or both
- Explain why you have backup gear
- Explain how you chose which brand(s) of camera you use
- How do you carry/transport your gear, and why?
- Write about a piece of gear you carry with you that clients have never heard of, but write about it from the perspective of how it helps them end up with better images
- Write about how you prepare for a photoshoot
What are some other blog topics for photographers that I’ve missed? Leave a comment below to help others!